Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Iran's Winters, Dirty Sandwich Nostalgia and Mayer's Special Ice-smelting Recipe

Last time I went to Iran, I missed California for some reason. Especially its nice weather, sunshine, and cleanness. Have you realized how grey Iranians are? We like to wear grey clothes, buy grey cars. I think grey is the second most luxurious color for Persians after black. Now, imagine I went to Iran after three years during the coldest winter ever. Tehran's international airport (Imam) was covered with snow. There was only one lane open. The city was all dirty grey in addition to the cars and clothes for the snow. Every where I looked I saw filth and dirt. Tehran is only beautiful on the very first day of snow shower. Everywhere is white, a rare color on the streets of Tehran. Just a day after snow, everything is covered with dirt with a grain of engine oil and asphalt residues. The second you leave the carwash other cars take care of yours with some new grim. Add huge amount of salt the municipality uses to melt down the snow to the grim. Actually it's not salt; it's some snow-smelting recipe I suppose the Mayer found himself. No one knows what it is exactly! It’s like a mixture of dirt, sand, small stones with a grain of salt. He thinks salt is only for the taste of the mix! One year I remember they ran out of salt so they added some waste ground plastics and lots of needles to the mix!
Iran’s winters are the best time to eat. Especially when you're on vacation. Everything tastes great. The favorite part of my trip was what I call the nostalgic dirty sandwiches included but not limited to (!) "Ferry"'s royal and "Seeb", "Baharan"'s "Morgh-o-Maghz”, cold-cuts by "Hayda", "Tochal"'s "Vizheye steak", "Khaneh Kabab"'s roasbeef*, "Narenj"'s cheeseburger with lots of mayinaise on all of them. Don't forget Persian style pizza and pasta, “deezy”, momy’s special macaroni and “Loobia polo” :)
My advice: Before you plan your trip, see your primary physician to make sure you are in good health condition. Also, try to lose some extra weight to make room for the new fat :)

*Before I came to the U.S. I always thought roast beef was some kind of well-cooked beef marinated in garlic and onions and shredded on a piece of bread with lots of mayonnaise. The first time I ordered roast beef here in America, it disillusioned me big time. I still prefer “Khaneh Kabab” or “Park Sandwich” make my roast beef rather than Frank’s!

0 comments: