Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Increasing success by lowering expectations (a review on Dispair Inc.)

I think you remember Adidas's' famous ad a couple of years ago titled: "Impossible is nothing". I consider it very inspirational.
Today, I was browsing http://www.woot.com/ in the morning while I was having an early email check in the office (around 6AM) as usual. BTW, I should tell you more about woot later. There was a link on today's woot for http://despair.com/index.html website which its sole purpose is demotivation. It's goal is so disturbed and cynical but sometimes so true as well. The creator tries to sell you things that, as he mentions on the website, disillusion you from motivational motos which multi-billion-dollar industry forces you to believe. Look at a quotation from the demotivators page by E.L. Kersten:

"AT DESPAIR, INC., we believe motivational products create unrealistic expectations, raising hopes only to dash them. That's why we created our soul-crushingly depressing Demotivators® designs, so you can skip the delusions that motivational products induce and head straight for the disappointments that follow!"

Actually, impossible is something I think. It depends on what we believe success is. I don't agree with either Adidas or Despair. I remember the time I used to be a big fan of Anthony Robbins. His ideas was very close to the impossible is nothing concept. Whenever I was reading his words about nothing is not unachievable and humen are capable of doing anything I use to become so inspired. He has this magical energy through repetitive examples of unusual success stories that makes you ask yourself: What do I have less than these losers? Why are they so successful and I'm not? He goes on and on in his books to force you believe in yourself and set your goals higher and higher. Of course, there are lots of criticism about his work which are true sometimes. Anyway, I personally believe in my ability to do many thing but not everything.

0 comments: